Friday 14 September 2012

COCKATOO ISLAND Part II



As mentioned earlier in Part I of this post, my friend and I went on an art date to Cockatoo Island to see part of the 18th Biennale of Sydney.  Our toddlers with us, it was a little experiment on mixing grown up sophisticated activities, art and small (active) children. I am so happy to report that this time around it was a success. A bit of a win for me as I forget that I can mix the old me with the new toddler attached me and it actually work. Sometimes. 

The four of us caught the free ferry over from Circular Quay to Cockatoo Island which took about 15 minutes. When we landed on the island, we made a beeline for the interactive installations in an attempt to beat the lines and see what the little ones thought of it all.



J loved this work (and so did my friend's little one) and we had to go back to the start and walk through a couple of times. It was a spiral labyrinth made of paper with a corridor of hanging rope that tickled your face as you walked through.


This installation looked liked some cold fantastical wonderland from a distance. The hanging structure featured heat and touch sensitive technology so that you could interact with it causing sections to light up and move. Another hit with J, although a little more tricky trying to keep tiny hands from pulling it all apart. 


Another of my favourites for it's beauty and fragility.

I am sorry that I don't have pictures of some of the other works; however if you are interested you can find out more hereSome more works of note (for me anyway) were:
Daan Roosegaarde, Dune, 2007
Cecilia Vecuna, Quipu Austral, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment